Benvenuto, Ospite
Nome utente: Password: Ricordami

ARGOMENTO: The behemoth tank

17/10/2007 20:53 #83655

Feel free to side track, it's my thread.... so:)

I think the second question phrasing is wiser. :idea:

I explored this fairly well in the past as I thought the same thing with respect to algae and O2. I falsified my hypothesis however, that:

Algae biomass(chl a per unit area) will decrease at higher levels of O2.

I found no significant difference between 15ppm and 7ppm O2 and tried CO2 at .5 ppm and 30ppm in conjunction with O2 with only minor differences(algae are not carbon limited, plants need far more carbon than algae).

The cycling by bacteria (breaking waste from organic N=? NH4=? NO2=> NO2, all of which uses large amounts of O2) is likely a greater influence with additions of O2 and the health of the fish with respect to higher CO2 enrichment common in the hobby.

Given the relationship between O2 and cycling of nutrients such as the evil NH4, which is known to induce algae germination, there may be more to that.

But what causes the spores to germinate vs not or grow better?
It's not O2, but there may be correlation/a relationship etc in a more complex system with plants and detrital break down etc.

That's one thing I tried.
I can measure algae accurately here at the lab and when I was at UF in Gainesville. So it's a good way to measure differences than eyeballing it.

I reported these results some time ago about O2 on the APD.

Regards,
Tom Barr
L\'Amministratore ha disattivato l\'accesso in scrittura al pubblico.

16/11/2007 22:42 #85859

Tom, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I seem to go in waves in keeping up with forums these days...

I wanted to see what your thoughts were on this concept that I've been pondering on... as you know my opinion on erogating CO2 has always been that it's more stable to erogate 24/7 rather than shutting off at night, unless of course you have a CO2 controller in which case you can crank things up a little higher than is safe to do without one... That said, we know that increasing the concentration of an element aids it's uptake due to the differences in osmotic pressure between the plant's tissues and surrounding water. Assuming that statement is correct... ;) would it not make sense that reducing CO2 concentration during the night would aid the plant in respiration?

As for the O2 issue, I had no idea you had performed tests on this, I recall us discussing the possibility a while back at the convention but I have not kept up with all the forums of late. What are your current thoughts on the competitive theory? Also, do you know roughly at what concentration O2 starts to oxidize plant tissues?

Thanks
Giancarlo

18/03/2009 01:10 #109650

Hell froze over, new pictures.

Enjoy.

Regards,
Tom Barr

18/03/2009 02:20 #109651

• Andrea Perotti
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ringraziamenti ricevuti 2
[8)][8)][8)] ... a dream!!!

19/03/2009 18:20 #109757

It looks much better these days since I got the client a special CO2 meter.

Very easy to dial in the right amount of CO2 and spot measure areas.

Regads,
Tom Barr

19/03/2009 20:21 #109768

• nico13
  • Gold Boarder
..wow.. love microsorum's forest in the back. How many neon fish?

nicolò (rm)

"Se in una foresta cade un albero ma nessuno lo sente, fa rumore?"
Nicolò Felici

20/03/2009 00:10 #109782

Incredible. certainly one of the most beautiful layout I've seen.[;)]

Natale Sandovalli

20/03/2009 19:47 #109811

I'd say about 1000 Cardinal tetras are in there. You cannot see them well since the picture is so far away. The background is 3 main parts, Anubias then narrow leaf Java fern, then Bolbitus. There's moss but you cannot tell in this picture on the far right side.

Most of the biomass is attached to the wood, and you can no longer see the background/backof the tank.

This makes the tank look small in pictures and lacking depth, but in person............it's really much nicer.

I need to get a nice wide angle lens shot at high resolution, 12-20 mp etc with a sharp lens, and I have just the camera to do that.

George Lo at AF, who won 20th in the ADa contest thinks this tank would win high marks and impress Amano.

I will not tell ADA that I had to remove the ADA AS[8)]

Regards,
Tom Barr

02/04/2009 05:22 #110537

More pics:

Regards,
Tom Barr

08/08/2009 00:12 #116479

New pics:

Regards,
Tom Barr

googlePlusyoutubefacebooktwitter

AG - 2013 - All rights reserved - Privacy & Policy

VitRuo - Web Agency

tornaSu